College of Science
COS School of Chemistry and Materials Science
Detailed Job Description
The School of Chemistry and Materials Science (SCMS) at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor faculty position, beginning in August 2022.
We are seeking an individual who has the ability and interest in contributing to a community committed to access, equity, diversity, and inclusion, student-centeredness, professional development and scholarship, integrity and ethics, innovation and flexibility, and teamwork and collaboration. Select to view links to RIT’s core values , honor code , and statement of diversity.
The School of Chemistry & Materials Science offers undergraduate degrees in Chemistry and Biochemistry, Master's degrees in Chemistry and Materials Science & Engineering, and several BS/MS program options. The school currently has 22 faculty members and supports approximately 149 BS Chemistry and Biochemistry majors, 37 MS students in Chemistry and Materials Science & Engineering, and many BS/MS students. For more information on our school, please visit our web page at https://www.rit.edu/science/scms .
The RIT College of Science offers 13 undergraduate programs and 14 graduate programs including 4 PhD and 17 BS/MS programs. The College has established an inclusive community that embraces social justice and equity among our education, research, and the scientific community at large. Our students benefit from the intersection of science and technology at RIT, including access and training with state-of-the-art laboratory equipment and facilities starting in their first year at RIT. As one of the top external grant-funded colleges on campus, the College of Science gives students unrivaled opportunities to engage in real-world research with supportive faculty mentors. Our alumni stand out from their peers at Cornell, MIT, Harvard, Regeneron, St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital, and the Cleveland Clinic, just to name a few.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Preferred Qualifications - Priority will be given to candidates who have:
- A PhD or DSc degree in chemistry, or a closely related field
- A strong record of publications
- Postdoctoral research experience
- A proposed independent research program:
- in an area synergistic with or complementary to SCMS strategic research thrusts, including but not limited to polymer and sustainable energy
- that has an innovative materials metrology component including but not limited to new methods or instrumentation development
- that will attract external funding as the PI
- that will incorporate both undergraduate and graduate students at RIT
- Ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the college's continuing commitment to access, equity, diversity, and inclusion
Faculty Type (Tenure Status)
Anticipated Start Date
Required Application Documents
Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae or Resume, List of References, Research Statement, Statement of Diversity Contribution, Statement of Teaching Philosophy
How To Apply
Apply online at http://careers.rit.edu/faculty ; search openings, then Keyword Search 6180BR Please submit your online application; curriculum vitae; cover letter addressing the required and preferred qualifications and upload the following attachments:
- Executive summary of proposed research (1 page)
- Proposed research plan (up to 6 pages plus references)
- Brief statement of teaching philosophy (1-2 pages)
- Names and contact information for three references (short listed candidates will be asked to provide letters of reference)
- Diversity Statement. The Contribution to Diversity statement should articulate the candidate’s goals to contribute to personal and institutional diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) initiatives in their teaching, scholarship and service. Please see the links for information regarding DEI initiatives within the College of Science , and RIT’s Plan for Race and Ethnicity .
You can contact the search committee with questions regarding the position at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To receive full consideration all application materials should be received by February 15th, 2022. The position will be kept open until a suitable candidate is found.
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources. RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities. RIT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities under the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New York Human Rights Law, or similar applicable law. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to your application for employment at RIT, please contact the Human Resources office at 585-475-2424 or email your request to Careers@rit.edu.