Do you have a vision for pioneering research to enhance national security through signature science, novel electromagnetic materials and devices, and/or powerful energy systems that will create new capabilities for JHUAPL and our nation?
Are you passionate about leading multidisciplinary teams to create innovative solutions?
Do you thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment?
If so, we are seeking someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking an Assistant Program Manager for our Signature, Electromagnetics and Energy Research Program, residing within the Research and Exploratory Development (RED) Mission Area.
As the Assistant Program Manager for our Signature, Electromagnetics and Energy Research Program, you will…
- Jointly lead the SEER program. Oversee a diverse and expanding portfolio of work across four technical pillars: energy, electromagnetics, signature and emerging research.
- Work with the Program Manager to develop technical research strategy and outreach activities.
- Integrate and coordinate activities across the SEER portfolio.
- Identify and pursue new business development opportunities in line with Program and Mission Area strategy.
- Cultivate and sustain relationships with current and potential sponsors.
- Partner effectively with Line and Program Management across APL to create and sustain a culture of technical excellence, creativity, cross-enterprise collaboration, and interdisciplinary innovation within the portfolio.
1) Strategy. Contribute to development and execution of the vision and strategy for the SEER Program. Identify emerging technical thrusts within the program, seeking subject matter expertise and feedback from SMEs. Seek new ideas and derivative efforts to foster future program initiatives. Refine research strategy for new and emerging technical area(s) to support DoD and IC research challenges. Work with the Program Manager to develop and execute a vision and a core set of projects aligned with external DoD, IC, Space and Health challenges. Coordinate internally and closely collaborating with a range of external partners.
2) Program leadership. Mentor Thought Leaders, Project Managers and Technical Leads by providing project guidance, establishing technical direction and assigning responsibilities. Directly communicate capabilities, ideas, progress and key findings to sponsors and the scientific community via presentations, reports and publications. Take ownership of achieving exceptional Sponsor project outcomes. Translate the sponsor’s needs into targeted innovative solutions and a plan of execution. Develop and foster a trusted relationship with sponsor representatives (e.g., technical leaders, contracts personnel). Work with sponsors to identify and support technological gaps critical to program success. Review and finalize program deliverables to ensure they meet sponsor needs. Review and approve APL-generated products (key findings, presentations, reports, manuscripts).
3) Thought Leadership. Provide thought leadership in conceptualizing and pursuing new research initiatives aligned with APL envisioned futures to support APL’s Research and Exploratory Development (RED) Mission Area. Develop and compose proposals that effectively communicate SEER capabilities, concepts and research approach. Advise the Department and Mission Area leadership on IRAD needs and priorities. Mentor staff toward innovative thought leadership to aid strategic efforts, proposal development, and high impact publications.
4) Quality. Lead the development and execution of proposals, task assignments, and related documentation to address sponsor needs and comply with APL policies and processes. Review and approve program deliverables to ensure they meet sponsor needs and portfolio standards. Conduct regular project reviews as appropriate to identify areas of risk and develop appropriate mitigation plans in coordination with Sponsor requirements. Ensure Enterprise requirements for quality and safety are met for all Program activities.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- PhD Degree or equivalent in Materials Science and Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar technical field.
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience in Applied Research.
- Creative, strategic thinker with a proven record of success in developing new ideas leading to sponsored research efforts.
- Strong demonstrated skills in leadership (of people and projects), organization, planning, and vision setting.
- Demonstrated ability to manage performance, cost, and schedule through the full life cycle of a project.
- Experience managing projects within quality management system guidelines.
- Excellent communicator (written and verbal) with the ability to interact with all levels of staff and management, including senior leadership of government agencies and academic/industry partners.
- Hold an active Secret security clearance and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Demonstrated experience in ideation, preparation, and successful capture of competitive research proposals.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
- Primary Mission Area: Research & Exploratory Development
- Requisition ID: 27899
- Security Clearance Required on Start Date: Final Secret
- Final Security Clearance Required: Top Secret