Back to search results Apply now Job no:737472Position Summary
Work type:Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Education
Department: Education Policy Center 10014017
Sub Area: FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Categories:Education/Training, Fixed Term Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
The Education Policy Innovation Collaborative (EPIC) at Michigan State University (MSU) is seeking an Assistant Director for Research to join EPIC leadership to work on externally-funded multi-year projects. EPIC is a policy lab located within the College of Education. EPIC partners with state and school district leaders to produce rigorous and objective multi-method research with consequence that strengthens evidence-based decision-making for practice and policy in Michigan, with implications for historically disadvantaged students throughout the country.
The Research Specialist will join the EPIC team in a leadership role to work on one or more externally-funded EPIC research projects. The EPIC team includes Dr. Katharine Strunk, Faculty Director, Emily Mohr, EPIC Managing Director, Tara Kilbride, EPIC Assistant Director, staff researchers, postdoctoral research associates, operational staff, several affiliated faculty, and doctoral students.
Duties for the Assistant Director for Research will include some or all of the following:
· Leading center-wide research projects focused on partner-driven research on the impact of policies and programs using large-scale longitudinal administrative data from the State of Michigan and collected by EPIC in the form of surveys and interviews;
· Providing expertise in quantitative methodologies that includes substantial experience conducting statistical/econometric analysis and quasi-experimental design using panel data in STATA;
· Overseeing, writing and editing clear and concise reports, publications, manuscripts, policy briefs for both academic and general audiences;
· Providing mentoring, training, and professional development to other EPIC researchers;
· Responding to ad hoc data and analysis requests, both internal and external; and
· Producing data summaries, tables and visualizations.
· Other duties as appropriate based on the specific interests and expertise of the selected candidate.
The Assistant Director for Research will oversee postdoctoral and staff researchers, as well as doctoral students and at EPIC to ensure all research products. We are seeking a person who is excited to be a member of a dynamic and motivated group, and who is driven by a desire to produce both rigorous and policy-relevant research aimed a driving improvements for Michigan students.
The position, which include benefits, is fixed term annual, 100% time position beginning March 1, 2022 with the potential for renewals in the College of Education.
Michigan State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Michigan State University is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.Required Degree
· A Ph.D. in education, public policy, economics, statistics, social science or a similar field;
· Significant expertise with STATA statistical software;
· Expertise in standard econometric models and techniques;
· Experience with large-scale quantitative data management and analysis;
· Experience planning and executing quality assurance on complex analyses using large-scale data sets;
· Demonstrated knowledge or interest in partner-orientated education research;
· Extreme attention to detail and strong organizational skills;
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite products;
· Ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities with little supervision, as well as maintain flexibility.Desired Qualifications
· Research project management, including developing and maintaining project timelines with contingency plans, coordinating the work of others and ensuring project deliverables are met to a high standard for quality and accuracy;
· Experience with data collection and analysis activities across a large team;
· Experience presenting research products to a wide variety of audiences;
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.Required Application Materials
Interested candidates should send: 1) a letter of application stating qualifications for and reasons for interest in this position; 2) current resume or curriculum vitae; and 3) the names and contact information for three references. We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.Together-we-will Statement
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at:
Applicants must apply online at: http://jobs.msu.edu . Please reference posting 737472. Questions can be directed to Emily Mohr at email@example.com.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/ Website
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised:Oct 13, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close:Oct 13, 2023 Eastern Daylight Time