Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.Job Description
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work within our Micro & Nano Technology Section in the Nanostructures and Interfaces Group. The research will focus on the development of novel nanomaterial architectures and their integration into electronic and electrochemical devices for sensing and computing applications. You will utilize expertise in low-dimensional, 1D and 2D nanomaterials such as nanotubes and related van der Waals structures, advanced lithographic methods, and electrical integration and characterization. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Conduct research in the areas of 1D and 2D nanomaterials synthesis and electrical device fabrication.
- Design, implement, and analyze experiments for the creation and integration of novel nanostructures in functional material systems.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment both at LLNL and in other national laboratories and universities to accomplish research goals.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of engineers and scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Applied Physics or related field, with emphasis on 1D and 2D electronic nanomaterials.
- Expertise in synthesis and characterization of low-dimensional nanostructures such as nanotubes, graphene, hexagonal boron nitride, metal chalcogenides, and other related van der Waals type structures.
- Expertise with characterizing the electronic and/or electrochemical performance of nanostructured materials.
- Experience with integrating nanostructures into functional devices by various micro/nanofabrication techniques.
- Experience with thin-film deposition techniques such as chemical vapor deposition (CVD), atomic layer deposition (ALD), casting/printing from nanodispersions, and mechanical exfoliation (e.g., 2D materials).
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, measurement, and data acquisition techniques, including developing innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Working knowledge of semiconductor physics and theory.
- Experience with detailed metrology such as Raman, PL, TGA, SEM, TEM, XRD, XPS, SAXS/WAXS.
- Experience with device fabrication and testing for applications such as chemical sensing or computing.
- Familiarity with a range of other materials including for example ceramics, polymers, and ionic liquids/gels, nanodispersions.
- Proficiency with basic programming software for data analysis, such as MATLAB, Python, or LabVIEW.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site .
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2 (link is external) .
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form .
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here .
Apply Now (link is external)