Current UC employees must apply internally via SuccessFactors > http://bit.ly/UCEMPL
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati embarks upon its third century – building on the past and defining the future by leading urban, public universities into a new era of innovation and impact through its strategic direction, Next Lives Here . Underscoring the power of creativity, ingenuity, invention and inclusion, what’s Next will accelerate our unrivaled momentum, evidenced by eight straight years of record enrollment and rankings that include placement among America’s top 100 public universities by U.S. News & World Report. Home to a diverse student body of nearly 47,000 and more than 4,200 distinguished faculty, the university combines its Research 1 (Very High Research Activity) Carnegie Classification with a physical setting that The New York Times recently acclaimed as “the most ambitious campus design program in the country.
A full time Postdoctoral Fellow position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Tom Seegar in the Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry and Microbiology at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. More information on the laboratory and research can be found at http://seegarlab.com . The incumbent will conduct, analyze and ensure that all research experiments are appropriately conducted following the policies and procedures of the University of Cincinnati. Positions are temporary appointments as a research trainee. Please include a CV and 2-3 professional references with your application.
The person filling this position will report directly to Dr. Tom Seegar and be responsible for conducting independent research within the scope of the lab, studying the structure and function of membrane proteases. Emphasis will be placed on the use of x-ray crystallography and cryo-electron microscopy for structure determination. In addition, the candidate will use other biophysical approaches and cell-based assays to elucidate molecular function.
- Conduct research experiments in a particular field within the pre-determined research scope and methodology.
- Gather and analyze data and develop new ideas that promote current research.
- Prepare data summaries, reports, manuscripts and presentations of research results.
- Participate/assist in manuscript writing for publication in scientific journals and/or presentation; may assist in grant writing.
- Maintain a detailed laboratory book and participate in weekly lab meetings.
- Keep informed of developments in field to maintain and enhance professional expertise.
- Lab maintenance, including equipment maintenance and ordering of supplies, as needed.
- May teach techniques to others, train, and mentor junior research staff.
- Engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities.
- Play an active role in seeking career and research advice, both from the faculty supervisor and from other faculty members as well.
- Perform related duties based on departmental need. This job description can be changed at any time.
Doctoral Degree (Ph.D) in Biophysics, Biochemistry, or related field, or the recognized terminal degree, or the foreign equivalent.
Additional Qualifications Considered
Strong expertise in biochemistry, molecular biology and cell biology techniques, in particular protein expression, purification and characterization.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.
SF:LJN (OMJ) SF:RM SF:HEJ SF:INS SF:HERC SF:DIV