Search for the Vice President for Administration and Finance and Chief Financial Officer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) seeks a collaborative, experienced, and visionary leader to serve as the institution’s Vice President for Administration and Finance and Chief Financial Officer (VPAF). Since its founding in 1938, the university has offered a unique education steeped in experiential learning. Cal Poly Pomona is the nation’s most diverse and inclusive polytechnic university, and takes seriously the responsibility to provide a challenging, enriching education that helps prepare students to be ready for the world on day one. The University seeks a seasoned leader to proactively support its mission at a pivotal moment, recognize and seize opportunities revealed by the impacts of a global pandemic and great societal change, and creatively and effectively steward resources in support of access and student success.
The university is noted for its scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, which was once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg. The university’s nearly 28,000 students are taught and mentored by the campus’ more than 1,400 faculty as part of 51 baccalaureate and 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in educational leadership. Highly regarded among its peer institutions, Cal Poly Pomona is No. 2 in the U.S. News and World Report rankings of top public regional universities in the west and was named the No. 15 best value college in the nation by Money Magazine. Cal Poly Pomona also stands as a national leader in promoting social mobility, and as a champion for diversity and inclusion was placed among the 25 top institutions in the country in awarding bachelor’s degrees to minority students by Diverse Issues in Higher Education.
Cal Poly Pomona is one of two polytechnic universities in the 23-campus California State University system and among 11 such institutions nationwide. With a variety of degree programs in the arts, humanities, sciences, engineering, and professional disciplines, the university is well known for its learn-by-doing philosophy. Cal Poly Pomona is nestled in the beautiful San Gabriel Valley less than 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles at the intersection of Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties. It is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains and deserts. For additional information about the university, please visit www.cpp.edu.
The incoming VPAF has a tremendous opportunity for impact, joining a collaborative and mission-driven leadership team to proactively guide the university through this moment of change and disruption in higher education. With oversight for all financial and administrative operations, capital planning, and real estate development, the ideal candidate will bring demonstrated financial expertise and strategic leadership to the role. They will work closely with academic and campus leaders across the breadth of the institution to assure the university’s position as a strong and vital anchor in the region.
The successful candidate will bring most, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, characteristics, skills, experiences, and personal qualities:
- Master’s Degree strongly preferred;
- Experience in a higher education system and/or campus;
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills; ability to participate in consultative processes with faculty and student groups to achieve consensus and build greater integration amongst academic and non-academic units;
- Ability to serve as a bridge between academic affairs and administrative affairs, and facilitate positive and productive conversations amongst a range of internal and external constituencies;
- A student-centered orientation, with demonstrated experience building more diverse, equitable, and inclusive environments;
- Knowledge and experience in human resources, labor relations/collective bargaining, training and development, and problem solving. Ability to promote an emphasis on campus’ investment in talent development and effective management priorities;
- Demonstrated commitment to sustainable practices;
- Experience with and/or an understanding of shared governance;
- Demonstrated ability to create, participate in, and lead teams
- Minimum requirements include:
- Ten years of directly related experience in progressively responsible business/financial level management, with five years at a senior level position;
- Strong strategic planning and execution skills. Master planning and capital budgeting experience and knowledge of real estate and land use development;
- Strong financial acumen with demonstrated solid knowledge of fiscal operation and principles. Strategic budgeting, forecasting and financial planning experience;
- Facilities management experience required, with a track record in addressing deferred maintenance and new construction needs
- Screening of complete applications will begin immediately and continue until the completion of the search process. Inquiries, nominations, referrals, and CVs with cover letters should be sent via the Isaacson, Miller website for the search: www.imsearch.com/7653. Electronic submission of materials is required.
David Bellshaw, Regan Gough, and Carley Davenport
1000 Sansome Street, Suite 300
San Francisco, CA 94111
The University is committed to cultural diversity and it is expected that the successful candidate will further this commitment. The University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
A background check must satisfactorily be completed before a candidate can be offered this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for this position. The background check consists of the following: Employment verification, education verification, reference checks, and checks of the following systems and databases: National Social Security Number/Address Locator, Felony/Misdemeanor, National Criminal Database, Federal Criminal, Department of Motor Vehicles, and National Sex Offender