The Department of Mathematics and Statistics has an opening for a postdoctoral position for an NSF funded project CAREER: Investigation of Beginning Teachers’ Expertise to Teach Mathematics via Reasoning and Proof ; PI Orly Buchbinder.
This longitudinal project explores the professional development of beginning teachers by following the graduates of UNH’s Mathematics Education program for three years. The project investigates how beginning teachers’ knowledge, dispositions and practices related to integrating reasoning and proof evolve over time. The project will develop theoretical and empirical models of professional development of beginning teachers taking into consideration the effects of sociocultural contexts and support structures, such as participation in online professional learning community (PLC).
The postdoctoral fellow responsibilities include:
• Collecting and managing qualitative and quantitative data: conducting semi-structured interviews, classroom observations and administering surveys
• Analyzing data with qualitative and quantitative tools
• Interacting with interns (including supervision), beginning teachers, cooperating teachers, administrators and students at local schools
• Contributing to developing and running PLC around integration of reasoning and proof in teaching mathematics
• Mentoring (co-mentoring) graduate students
• Writing for publications and presenting research findings at conferences and professional meetings
The position includes opportunities to teach (co-teach) mathematics or / and mathematics education courses at the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.