Postdoctoral Researcher - Metabolic Engineering and Synthetic Biology
CO - Golden
Postdoc (Fixed Term)
.Hours Per Week
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in Golden, Colorado, is the nation's primary laboratory for research, development, and deployment of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies. The Hybrid Processing Center at NREL has an opening for a full time Postdoctoral Researcher within the Synthetic Biology and Bioconversion group. The initial appointment is for one year, with possible renewal up to three years.
The Hybrid Processing Center is conducting research to improve biomass conversion to fuels, chemicals, and materials. Successful candidates will work on a collaborative project focusing on
metabolic engineering and synthetic biology for the production of renewable chemicals from biomass-derived sugars. In particular, focus will be placed on collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team for engineering non-model microbes to convert biomass-derived pentose and hexose sugars to organic acids as intermediates towards biofuel production. Moreover, the successful candidate will work with bioprocess engineers for scale-up activities in bioreactor cultivations to improve strain performance in an iterative fashion. This work will ultimately lead to industrially relevant strains and biofuel production processes.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- work safely and independently in a laboratory setting
- advise other researchers in the planning and execution of experimental work
- communicate scientific results effectively, both written and oral
- author peer-reviewed publications
- work collaboratively in a large, multidisciplinary team of engineers, chemists, and biologists.
Must be a recent, related PhD graduate within the last three years.
Additional Required Qualifications
- Research experience in metabolic engineering and synthetic biology
- Development and implementation of novel genetic tools
- Demonstrated experience with metabolic engineering in non-model bacteria
- Experience with systems biology methods
- PhD degree in Biological Engineering, Molecular Biology, Chemical Engineering, or a closely related field
- Development and deployment of CRISPR-based applications
- Experience with engineering and cultivation of anaerobic microorganisms including ideally Clostridium species
- Experience in fermenter cultivations
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at NREL you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
NREL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard basis of age (40 and over), color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin/ancestry, race, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding), sexual orientation, and any other applicable status protected by federal, state, or local laws.