We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will focus on crystal engineering and structural characterization of new materials for separation of ions relevant to energy and the environment, and for CO2 capture. This position resides in the Chemical Separations Group in the Chemical Sciences Division, Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
As part of Chemical Separations Group, you will have the opportunity to work with a multidisciplinary multi-institutional team involving specialists in organic and polymer synthesis, thermodynamics, spectroscopy, materials characterization, separations, and computational chemistry. It is expected that you will publish your research accomplishments in high-impact journals, and present them at national meetings.
- Perform hands-on synthesis and characterization of novel organic compounds
- Use a variety of methods to characterize the newly synthesized compounds (e.g., NMR, FT-IR, TGA, DSC, UV-Vis, potentiometric and coulometric titrations, single-crystal X-ray diffraction, and PXRD)
- Perform ion separations and CO2 capture experiments.
- Participate in project planning and execution
- Present and report research results and publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, health and quality program requirements
- A PhD in chemistry or a related discipline completed within the last five years
- Experience in organic chemistry including experience with multi-step organic synthesis and structural characterization of organic compounds
- Experience with X-ray diffraction methods (single-crystal and PXRD), TGA, DSC, NMR, UV-Vis spectroscopy, potentiometric titrations
- Experience with crystal growth and design
- Excellent record of productive and creative research as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate to an international, scientific audience
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and availability of funding.
Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position. Three letters of reference are required and can be emailed directly to PSDrecruit@ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position and your name in the subject line.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.