This position will be open until filled with first review of resumes on 9/29/20.
Postdoctoral Researcher Position available in the Sussman laboratory at San Diego State University Research Foundation.
The Sussman laboratory at San Diego State University
The primary research project is focused upon the biological impact of vaping upon cardiopulmonary structure and function at the tissue and cellular levels. More information about the Sussman lab can be found at http://heart.sdsu.edu
Under general direction, the Postdoctoral Research Fellow designs and conducts highly specialized and advanced experiments using established scientific protocols and procedures to support research focused upon the biological impact of vaping upon cardiopulmonary structure and function at the tissue and cellular levels.
Research Design and Execution (80%)
- Design, organize and conduct highly specialized and advanced experiments using established scientific protocols and procedures.
- Design new research protocols for the lab.
- Summarize findings and publish results in research journals.
- Construct plasmid and viral gene vectors.
- Work with mRNA and DNA for analysis.
- Perform enzyme assays, transcriptomics, immunohistochemistry, confocal fluorescence microscopy, primary cell culture, microarray analyses, tissue histology and preparation.
- Perform small animal surgery and follow appropriate protocol for handling and treatment of animals.
- Understand mouse genetics and perform basic lab skills (PCR, SDS/PAGE, immunoblotting, real-time PCR, fluorescence-based assays).
- Establish mouse in vivo pathological changes and manipulate different pathological conditions with pharmacological interventions.
- Analyze molecular signaling mechanisms contributing to cellular stress including but not limited to apoptosis and necrosis as well as reactive oxygen species.
Lab Leadership and Development (20%)
- Assume general responsibility for scientific operations of the laboratory.
- Provide supervision and guidance to junior technicians, students, and researchers.
- Enhance professional skills and research independence through mentored, advanced training.
Core Knowledge and Abilities
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including a sound foundation in English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Ability to understand standard office and lab procedures; to operate standard office equipment; to learn office technology systems; to perform basic arithmetic calculations; and typing and keyboard skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with co-workers, clients and/or study participants.
- Ability to understand and follow posted work rules and procedures.
- Ability to relate well to others within the project environment.
- Ability to display motivation and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to display organization, meet deadlines, display detail orientation, possess good judgment and common sense.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to be independent while valuing collaboration and a diverse lab environment
Role Specific Knowledge and Abilities
- Computer competency in general computer software, Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to use statistical and image analysis software
- Ability to report to work on time and follow directions from a supervisor.
- Knowledge of the cardiopulmonary field and training in laboratory techniques relevant to studies of cell and molecular biology.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism.
- Ability to coach and manage others effectively.
- Ph.D. or MD Ph.D. from a four-year college or university in a related field such as biology, medicine, or physiology.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Immunohistochemistry, confocal microscopy, tissue culture, biochemistry, viral vector design and amplification, in vivo surgical skills with mouse models, molecular biology, lung and/or heart-related research, or transcriptomics.
- Experience formulating experiments and analyze data in an independent manner.
- A co-author on at least two peer reviewed research publications
- Experience with mouse or rat animal models.
- Experience using statistical and image analysis software.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer