Department of Animal Science, University of California, Davis has an exciting postdoctoral opportunity to participate in research directed at understanding genetic architecture of complex traits by identifying causative variations associated with feed efficiency, growth rate and/or disease resistance in poultry. The selected candidate will utilize newly annotated functional regulatory elements in poultry genome to focus on tissue-specific cis-regulatory elements that regulate genes and networks associated with above complex traits. The candidate will use well-characterized genetic lines that differ in their phenotype on the respective complex traits in chickens to identify and functionally validate potential causative variants, specifically targeting on regulatory regions, using CRISPRi and CRISPRa. These efforts will ultimately provide needed information that can be used to precision genomic selection for significant improvements for poultry breeders. This project will leverage the varied epigenomic assays (ChIP-seq, ATAC-seq, Hi-C) and integrative omic data analysis pipeline our group has developed, and computational capabilities at the group, as well as new or existing collaborations with scientists at the department, the Genome Center at UC Davis, and external groups.
- Design and lead animal experiments and in-vitro work
- Conduct and/or develop varied sequence-based assays such as scRNA-seq,
ChIP-seq, ATAC-seq, and Hi-C and/or other high-throughput technologies
such as CRISPRi and CRISPRa.
- Integrate omic data analysis
- Work with other peer scientists and external collaborators on functional
genomics analysis in poultry
- Analyze and summarize data and present findings at internal lab meetings
and scientific conferences.
- Publish in peer-reviewed journals and contribute to scientific research
papers and reports.
- Ph.D. in animal biology, genetics, genomics, microbiology, immunology,
computational biology or a related field.
- Solid understanding of animal genetics, biology, physiology and/or disease
- Experience with microscopy, histology and/or cell fractionation a plus.
- Experience in epigenomics and computational data analysis a plus
- Experience with molecular biology techniques, such as DNA/RNA extraction,
cell culture, and analysis methods.
- Strong interest in genomic and functional genomic questions and in the use
of computational strategies to derive biological insights from sequence
- Demonstrated scientific productivity through publications in relevant
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
This is a one year postdoctoral fellowship appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post- degree.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $51,000.00 - $70,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- genomics: 4 years (Required)
- Next Generation Sequencing: 3 years (Required)
- knowledge in animal biology: 3 years (Preferred)
- bioinformtics: 1 year (Preferred)
- epigenomics: 1 year (Preferred)