The Department of Energy Manufacturing Demonstration Facility and the Manufacturing Research Group at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) are seeking a postdoctoral researcher to conduct projects, expand research, and assist in the development of projects to support the robotics and automationbased manufacturing R&D portfolio.
- Conduct R&D projects and support the expansion of R&D in Direct Energy Deposition and metal additive manufacturing
- Support efforts to improve the metal DED AM process efficiency with focus on
- System integration
- Energy efficiency
- Interact with material scientists to advance understanding of DED-based metallurgy.
- Develop new applications of Robotics and Automation in Manufacturing and other areas of ORNL mission
- Develop Robotics applications outside of manufacturing automation
- Mentor students and interns
- Network and develop collaborative R&D with other groups and divisions internally and with DOE, industry, and utilities;
- Prepare and present research results to sponsors, peer reviewers, members of local, state, and federal government, and to a general audience at technical meetings.
The position requires:
A PhD in Mechanical Engineering/Electrical Engineering/Mechatronics or related with focus on controls, robotics, automation, mechatronics with a strong orientation on practical implementation.
Understanding of automation and robotics in aspects of inverse/forward kinematics, motion control, process control and system integration.
Programming skills allowing to implement robotics concepts in software.
Basic CAD modelling skills.
Ability to directly apply scientific methods to solve engineering problems.
Flexibility and willingness to explore, adapt, and synthesize aspects of other scientific fields into the needs of large scale metal additive manufacturing.
Excellent oral and written communication skills to support regular interactions with sponsors, peer reviewers, and others and to prepare reports, proposals, publications and journal articles is required.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills to support team building.
Knowledge of relevant public and private stakeholders is required.
Frequent domestic travel and possibly international travel is expected in this position.
Appointments will initially be for 24 months with a possibility of an extension of up to 12 months. Appointments and extensions are subject to annual performance reviews and availability of funding.
Applicants cannot have received the most recent degree more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment.
Additional Qualifications Preferred
- C/C++/Java or similar
- Knowledge of CAD software
- Experience with industrial robots
- Understanding of the AM process and its challenges
- Experience with TIG/MIG or laser welding process
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.