Postdoctoral Associate - 2002200
Required Qualifications (as evidenced by an attached resume):
Doctoral Degree or foreign equivalent in Materials Science or related discipline by January 2021.
Experience in (i) powder metallurgical processing , (ii) materials characterization, (iii) thermophysical and mechanical property measurements, or (iv) nuclear materials modeling and multiscale simulation.
Brief Description of Duties: The postdoctoral positions will focus on a range of fundamental research activities related to alloy and composite materials development for fusion and fission applications using a combination of experimental techniques and multiscale simulations. At a high-level, the postdoctoral fellows will carry out modeling of radiation effects and its implications for structural design, both from fundamental materials science and practical application standpoints. Experimental activities will involve processing, characterization, and testing of component-level designs. Specific scientific duties and responsibilities include:
- Thermostructural modeling for plasma facing component design using the Multiphysics Object Oriented Simulation Environment (MOOSE)
- Detailed microstructural examination of candidate materials including both pristine and irradiated materials using techniques such as benchtop x-ray tomography and diffraction; synchrotron x-ray diffraction/scattering/spectroscopy/imaging techniques; and scanning, transmission, and scanning transmission electron microscopy.
- Thermal and mechanical testing of powders and bulk materials. Activities will include sample preparation, differential scanning calorimetry/differential thermal analysis, laser flash analysis, dilatometry, uniaxial tensile/compression testing, and nanoindentation.
- Powder process development and sintering of bulk materials using techniques that include but are not limited to high energy ball milling, hot pressing, and field-assisted sintering.
- Atomistic modeling to understand gas behavior in doped metallic interfaces, specifically focusing on helium clustering at the interfaces and its implications for nascent bubble formation in the parent lattice.-Interpretation of data and effective communication in scientific literature.
- Construction or application of Ashby maps to determine practical routes for sintering of multi-material systems including tungsten and its alloys, copper alloys, nanoferretic alloys, and functionally graded systems composed of these materials.
- Writing and management of laboratory user proposals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Notes: The Research Foundation of SUNY is a private educational corporation. Employment is subject to the Research Foundation policies and procedures, sponsor guidelines and the availability of funding. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Minimum salary threshold must be met to maintain FLSA exemption.
Visit The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs to learn more about our postdoctoral community.
Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information,veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the university The Office of Equity and Access (OEA) at (631) 632-6280 or visit OEA
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Official Job Title: Postdoctoral Associate
Job Field: Post Doctoral
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Materials Science and Chemical Engineering-The Research Foundation for The State University of New York at Stony Brook
Schedule: Full-time Shift: Day Shift Shift Hours: 8:30 am -5:00 pm Pass Days: Sat, Sun
Posting Start Date: Sep 9, 2020
Posting End Date: Sep 23, 2020, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: E89
Appointment Type: Regular