PD - Post Doctoral
Postdoctoral Research Associate - Process Chemist (Multiples)
Chemical & Life Science Engineering
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Anticipated Hiring Range
Monroe Park Campus
Normal work days
Normal work hours
Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System?
Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment?
Is any portion of this position grant-funded?
Yes - Continuation of this position depends on funding of the grant.
Description of the Job
The College of Engineering at Virginia Commonwealth University, department of Chemical and Life Sciences Engineering’s Medicines for All Institute, has a postdoctoral position available. The Medicines for All Institute has received funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to undertake research efforts to reduce the cost of medically important therapies to positively impact global health. The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to develop and expand upon a diversified technical skill set while making a positive contribution to global public health.
Research projects for the Medicines for All Institute will involve redesigning and/or improving processes for the synthesis of active pharmaceutical ingredients using the principles of green chemistry in batch and continuous flow operations. In this position, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work and collaborate with a vast network of scientists and engineers.
This position will be responsible for:
- Producing novel syntheses of known active pharmaceutical ingredients which will cover both early and late stage
- pharmaceutical process development as well as investigation of scalability. Particular emphasis will be placed on mechanistic exploration of chemical systems to improve reaction outcomes.
- Conducting and documenting literature review of prior activities related to target drug substances
- Conceptualizing and assessing viability of routes utilizing low cost raw materials.
- Delivering results in a high pace and time sensitive environment
- Documenting findings and communicating results to internal and external team members
- Publishing research findings
- Maintaining leading edge knowledge of current methods and technologies at the interface of organic chemistry, programming and digital platforms, and analytical chemistry
- Developing new platforms for other M4ALL researchers to enhance study of reactions (ex. FTIR, computational chemistry, kinetic analysis etc.)
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry or related field
- Experience with kinetic, thermodynamic and mechanistic analysis of chemical systems
- Demonstrated ability to publish research findings in high impact scientific journals
- Experience with multistep organic synthesis and associated techniques
- Expertise in modern analytical techniques including NMR, IR, GC, HPLC
- Ability to mentor junior team members, and ensure highest levels of laboratory safety
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with total synthesis or flow chemistry
- Experience with high throughput experimentation and quantitation of reaction mixtures
- Experience in Design of Experiments (DOE)
Remove from posting on or before
Special Instructions to Applicants
Candidates for consideration must upload a cover letter of interest, CV, and two professional references to include emails and phone numbers in a single PDF file. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and accepted until the position is filled. Employment will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
VCU is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.