Senior Research Associate
San Diego, CA
Ready to put your scientific expertise to work on biosurveillance and innovative research to advance protection and treatment of the warfighter from emerging infectious diseases? We are seeking a Senior Research Associate to support research and program objectives related to infectious diseases. This position resides in the Naval Health Research Center Operational Infectious Diseases in San Diego, CA.
- Provide support for protocol‐driven scientific research addressing infectious diseases.
- Support government scientists in writing protocol‐driven research proposals, human use protocols, technical reports, final reports, and peer‐reviewed manuscripts (subject to Government approval).
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expect (SME) for reach-back problems and serve as an SME capable of trouble shooting laboratory experiments, equipment and assays (within the associated mission areas).
- Organize and evaluate data sets (both provided by the government and / or also collected by the contractor), develop presentation materials, develop research Standard Operating Procedures for Government approval, present findings at technical and professional meetings (subject to Government approval), and review and submit Government approved research protocols for NHRC IRB approval (subject to Government approval).
- With Principal Investigator (PI) oversight and in accordance with the NHRC Authored Work Instruction, review and assist in preparation of reports that inform customers and partners of surveillance, clinical study or trial findings (subject to Government approval).
- Coordinate the implementation and support of sponsored and PI initiated laboratory research studies, including maintenance of study records and all activities associated with internal and external audits in coordination with the Principal Investigator (subject to Government approval).
- Participate in the design/conduct of biosurveillance programs and human clinical trials related to infectious diseases of military significance.
- Assist in measures designed to strengthen local and regional capacity for surveillance of emerging and reemerging diseases.
- Recommend changes to protocols and research standard operating procedures as needed (subject to Government approval).
- Interface with collaborative research organizations, operational commanders and other interested parties in response to new and emerging infectious diseases.
- Prepare funding documents, written reports, manuscripts for submission to scientific journals, presentations for scientific meetings, and patent applications with approval from the government.
- Actively engage with the military medicine community, stakeholders and collaborators of the biosurveillance of emerging infectious diseases programs and remain up to date on the direction of key research areas associated with the mission.
- Submit Government cleared manuscripts to local, federal, and international databases (subject to Government approval).
- Present technical and scientific data/reports (subject to Government approval) as needed to facilitate associated mission areas.
- Maintains a safe work environment with appropriate training of other personnel.
- Complete on‐line and in‐house training related to assigned job duties.
- Oversees the work of entry and mid-level contract personnel.
- PhD and/or MD in fields related to Molecular Biology, Biology, Microbiology, Infectious Disease, Virology, Bacteriology, Immunology, Medical Technology or related fields.
- 4+ years of post-graduate experience relevant to infectious disease surveillance and detection.
- U.S. citizens ONLY due to government or federal requirement.
Ready for an exciting and rewarding opportunity? We’re looking for the kind of people who are ready to make an immediate impact and provide solutions. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who have proven experience tackling some of the greatest challenges. Take your next step today!